The lowest-ranked club left in The Emirates FA Cup reach third round after late win

Tuesday 13 Dec 2016

Jack Duggan was the Stourbridge hero as his late strike saw the lowest-ranked team left in The Emirates FA Cup beat Northampton Town 1-0 to advance to the third round for the first time in their history.

After the original fixture was postponed, this one looked to be heading for a replay but with four minutes left a Luke Benow free-kick caused all sorts of problems in the visitors' box and Duggan was on hand to slam the ball home and set up a third round clash at Wycombe Wanderers.

Gary Hackett’s home side started well with Chris Lait firing wide after ten minutes before Dan Scarr forced David Cornell into a smart save with a header on the half-hour mark.

The Emirates FA Cup

Second Round Proper
Tuesday 13 December 2016 
Winners receive £27,000

Duggan glanced wide moments later, before again forcing Cornell into a low stop as the Glassboys dominated.

And those missed chances nearly came back to bite Hackett’s men in stoppage time, but Paul Anderson could only drag his rasping drive wide.

The second half followed the pattern of the first as Scarr’s header was palmed over by the busy Cornell, but the Northern Premier League side got their reward when Duggan pounced to send the War Memorial Ground wild.

Elsewhere, MK Dons needed extra-time to see off former manager Karl Robinson and Charlton Athletic as they won 3-1 in home manager Robbie Neilson’s first-ever Emirates FA Cup tie.

The Dons went ahead on six minutes as Danny Powell coolly slotted home, but their lead was short-lived as Adam Chicksen levelled on 24 minutes.

That was how it stayed at 90 minutes but in first-half extra-time Ben Reeves let rip from the edge of the area before Dean Bowditch’s calm finish moments later confirmed a third round game at Championship high-flyers Brighton and Hove Albion.

National League side Eastleigh dug deep to claim a 2-0 win over ten-man FC Halifax Town in their replay and set up an Emirates FA Cup third round reunion with Brentford for new boss Martin Allen.

Two goals from Scott Wilson before half time, including one from the penalty spot, were enough to see off their National League North rivals, who had Scott Garner dismissed for elbowing Eastleigh's Jai Reason on 84 minutes.

Elsewhere, Fleetwood Town came from two goals down to beat Shrewsbury Town 3-2 in their replay.

Jim O’Brien had put Shrewsbury ahead shortly before half time and even when Adam Al-Abd was sent off five minutes after the restart for pulling back Aaron Holloway, the visitors doubled their lead on the hour mark through Louis Dodds.

But Fleetwood made their extra man count as Devante Cole’s two goals pulled the hosts level before Ashley Hunter won the game in injury-time to set up a third round clash at Bristol City.

By FA Staff