Five ties and 50-yard goals: The Emirates FA Cup is back

Friday 05 Aug 2016
The 2016-17 Emirates FA Cup is under way

The Emirates FA Cup returned tonight and Sholing’s Kieran Winman marked the occasion in style as he scored from the halfway line in his side’s 4-1 victory over Bournemouth FC.

The 2016-17 competition begins with 183 extra preliminary round ties and five of those took place tonight.

At Sholing’s Universal Stadium, it was Bournemouth who took the lead through Dave Ewen’s penalty on 18 minutes.

Extra Preliminary Round

Ascot Utd 0-2 Milton Utd
Hinckley 1-1 Heanor Town
Lymington Town 0-0 Hamworthy Utd
Sholing 4-1 Bournemouth
Thame Utd 3-0 Abbey Rangers

But two goals in six minutes from the Mason brothers saw fellow Wessex Premier side Sholing gain a lead that they would not relinquish.

First Dan Mason fired inside the near post from 12 yards to level before his older brother Byron headed in from a free-kick.

And five minutes later Winman made it 3-1 when he sent a 50-yard strike over the goalkeeper and just under the bar, with the victory rounded off late on when Dan Mason tapped in.

Thame United were another side to record a comfortable victory as strikers Lynton Goss and Andy Gledhill both made it four goals in their opening two games this season.

After kicking off their Hellenic Premier campaign with an 8-1 win against Burnham on Tuesday night, Thame followed it up with a 3-0 victory over Abbey Rangers in the Emirates FA Cup.

Goss scored first with a ferocious strike and after Rangers had a goal ruled out for offside, Gledhill added to his hat-trick on Tuesday by heading in a second after a well-worked move.

Thame could have won by a greater margin after missing a penalty midway through the second half but a home tie with North Leigh was all but confirmed when Goss scored with another impressive finish.

Ascot United also booked their place in the preliminary round as James Brazier and Charlie Samuels scored either side of half-time to set up another home clash at the Racecourse against Didcot Town.

Two of tonight’s ties ended with the sides set for a replay.

Ryan Paddock’s powerful header for Hinckley AFC was cancelled out by Heanor Town’s Elliot Reeves’ second-half finish, while Lymington Town versus Hamworthy United was goalless.

By FA Staff