Chesterfield set up second round tie at home to Walsall

Monday 09 Nov 2015
Rai Simons (No22) is congratulated by team-mates after scoring for Chesterfield

Gboly Ariyibi marked his Emirates FA Cup debut with the opening goal as Chesterfield beat FC United of Manchester 4-1 to set up a second round clash with Walsall.

American Ariyibi struck early on to give the visitors a lift, and FC United of Manchester found themselves two behind at half-time as Lee Novak doubled Chesterfield’s lead.

And after the break Rai Simons and Ollie Banks wrapped the game up for Chesterfield with their first Emirates FA Cup goals, before Luke Ashworth added a late consolation for the home side.

FC United of Manchester 1-4 Chesterfield

Emirates FA Cup
First Round Proper
Monday 9 November 2015
Broadhurst Park
Winning club will receive £18,000

Chesterfield started brighter and deservedly took the lead after seven minutes, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake showing a great turn of pace before squaring for Ariyibi to side foot home.

And just moments later Novak looked to double the visitors’ lead, but after finding space for himself in the box he saw his shot blocked for a corner.

Rory Fallon had the first shot of any note for the hosts but his volley flew three or four yards wide.

And Chesterfield went up the other end and scored again, Novak finishing off a superb move following Daniel Jones’ fine left-wing cross.

In an attempt to get the home side going, Sam Sheridan let loose from distance after 20 minutes and Chesterfield goalkeeper Tommy Lee gathered at the second attempt.

FC United of Manchester were dominating possession but Chesterfield still looked dangerous at the other end, Sam Morsy firing into the side netting after 24 minutes.

And Chesterfield finished the first half the stronger, Novak seeing a header saved by David Carnell before Ebanks-Blake fired over.

FC United had the first chance of the second half, Richard Wood nearly heading into his own net only to be relieved to see the ball fall just wide of Lee’s post.

Just after the hour mark Lee was this time called into action as he managed to hold on to Chris Lynch’s looping header on his goal-line.

But after Jay O’Shea had a goal disallowed after Novak was ruled offside in setting him up, Simons put the result beyond doubt as he lifted the ball over Carnell following a fine through ball from Morsy.

With three minutes left Banks added a fourth from distance, before Ashworth headed home from a corner to give the home fans something to shout about.

By FA Staff