Paul Gallagher double dumps Norwich out of FA Cup

Saturday 03 Jan 2015
Paul Gallagher celebrates against Norwich City

Paul Gallagher was the hero for Preston as his brace upset the odds against Norwich City in The FA Cup Third Round, writes Andy Lloyd-Williams.

Simon Grayson’s men were on top throughout, but struggled to find the target with the chances they created against the Championship side. 

But after penalty appeals were waved away when Wes Hoolahan appeared to handle a Gallagher shot, he may have felt he got what he deserved as he struck the opening blow in the 70th minute. The favourites never really looked like getting back into it and left Gallagher unmarked to make it 2-0 and seal a shock at Deepdale.

The FA Cup

Third Round Proper
Saturday 3 January 2015
Winning clubs will receive £67,500

Non-Leaguers Southport did themselves, and their 2,700 supporters, proud at Derby, but were beaten by a sucker-punch Chris Martin penalty right at the death.

Johnny Russell was felled in the box to end the Conference Premier side’s FA Cup fairytale, but it could have been so different as they burst out of the blocks at the start of the game, with Richard Brodie taking an early pop at Kellee Roos’ goal.

Leon Best was unable to make the most of being given a rare start by Steve McClaren, although Craig Bryson was unlucky to strike the post with his shot.

Nottingham Forest were felled by plucky League One side Rochdale, with Peter Vincenti’s 12th-minute penalty sealing the upset.

He got the better of Dorus de Vries from the spot and should have doubled the lead from close range shortly afterwards, but his effort went wide of the mark.

Joel Logan was more accurate with a curled effort that de Vries had to be on his guard to keep out, but in the end the single goal was all they needed to eliminate Stuart Pearce’s side.

Championship leaders Bournemouth turned on the style with four second-half goals to win 5-1 at Rotherham. Richard Brindley had put Steve Evans’ men ahead, but Shaun MacDonald struck to make it all square going into the break.

Eddie Howe’s squad rotation appeared to have a positive impact as strikes from Junior Stanislas, Ryan Fraser and a double from Yann Kermorgant eased them into the Fourth Round.

It was a tighter affair at the King Power Stadium as Leonardo Ulloa’s header proved the difference between Leicester and fellow Premier League side Newcastle.

It was just what the Foxes deserved after some good work from Tom Lawrence almost saw them take the lead, with visiting keeper Jak Alnwick creating danger by punching corners.

He pulled off some good second-half stops to save face, but the damage had already been done and on the day their manager Alan Pardew was unveiled as new Crystal Palace boss, they were eliminated from The FA Cup for another season.

Meanwhile Ali Al Habsi was nearly the hero for Wigan at Bolton, but was eventually beaten by a Zach Clough chip. 

The Oman stopper was in inspired form with a string of saves against his former employers, but the 19-year-old scored a debut goal to remember to break the resistance and send Bolton trotting through to the next round.

Meanwhile, late strikes from Jelle Vossen and Daniel Ayala sent Championship side Middlesbrough through after a delayed kick-off at Oakwell.

The start was delayed due to structural problems in the West Stand, then Boro defender Rhys Williams, playing his first game in a year, went down clutching his ankle with just two minutes gone. He had to be stretchered off, and later re-appeared from the tunnel on crutches.

Jelle Vossen

Middlesbrough's Jelle Vossen celebrates

But Boro eased to a win with both goals, a left-footed effort and a header respectively, coming either side of an Adam Clayton red card for two bookable offences.

There were also stadium problems at The Valley, as Charlton’s floodlights failed midway through the first half, with Blackburn already a goal to the good thanks to Chris Taylor’s early header. 

Johann Berg Gudmundsson shone a light for the hosts as his 20-yard free-kick drew them level. But his team-mates then switched off, allowing Taylor to ghost through and quickly restore that lead with his second goal of the game.

Nothing could separate Doncaster and Bristol City as Matt Smith’s header cancelled out Luke McCullough’s hooked opener. Sub Kyle Bennett should have won it for the hosts but was only able to shoot wide with the goal gaping.

And in a game of few chances, Nick Blackman fired Reading to victory at Huddersfield. He strode forward to make the goal for himself just when the hosts were getting on top.

Meanwhile, it’s a case of ‘must do better’ for Fulham and Wolves, who served up a goalless draw at Craven Cottage.

Leon Clarke had the best chance but was caught napping when presented with a glorious chance to put the Wolves ahead. Bakary Sako’s long-range shot cannoned off the post and fell to Clarke, but he was unable to hit the target despite his close proximity to the goal.

By FA Staff