Last four confirmed after thrilling day in Women's Cup

Sunday 12 Apr 2015
The FA Women's Cup
Manchester City, Chelsea, Everton and Notts County all moved to within one game of Wembley after a thrilling afternoon in The FA Women’s Cup.

Chelsea travelled to holders Arsenal in Sunday’s first Sixth Round tie, and it was two former Gunners who would inflict the fatal blows to the hosts.

Katie Chapman headed the Blues in front on 17 minutes before Gemma Davison doubled their advantage with her fifth in just four games since joining from Liverpool.

Left-back Emma Mitchell's wonder strike halved the deficit to give Arsenal hope, but the FA WSL 1 leaders who held firm to reach the Semi-Finals for the third time in four seasons.

The FA Women's Cup

Sixth Round
Sunday 12 April
Notts County 5-1 Aston Villa
Manchester City 3-1 Birmingham City
Everton 1-1 Charlton Athletic (4-3 on pens)
Arsenal 1-2 Chelsea

Further north at Meadow Lane, Dunia Susi scored twice as Notts County eased passed Aston Villa with a 5-1 victory.

Villa keeper Caitlin Leach twice denied Ellen White before the England striker eventually chipped the hosts ahead and Laura Bassett quickly added a second after Alex Greenwood's free-kick crashed off the post.

Aileen Whelan then added the third before substitute Susi entered the fray, and she netted either side of Kerri Walsh's effort for Villa, who had Emily Owen sent off for two bookings.

Manchester City reached the Semi-Finals with a 3-1 win over Birmingham City at the Academy Stadium.

Toni Duggan opened the scoring before Nikita Parris doubled the lead in the second half, volleying in Isobel Christiansen's floated free-kick.

Brum substitute Coral Jade-Haines pulled a goal back from close range, before Jill Scott slipped the ball though keeper Becky Spencer's legs to seal her side's victory.

Jill Scott was on target for Manchester City

Jill Scott was on target for Manchester City

"I'm really happy, we said that we wanted to get through, that was always the aim,” said Scott afterwards.

"If it was scrappy we didn't care as long as we got through. We got the ball down and played very well and we're pleased our name is in the hat.

"Last season I said I wanted to try and add more goals to my game and that's my first of the season so hopefully I can build on that. There could have been a few more goals really."

Elsewhere, it took penalties for Everton to overcome Charlton Athletic after the two sides fought out a 1-1 draw.

Ellie Stewart looked to have earned her side victory late on, but the Addicks equalised almost immediately to force extra time. With neither side able to make a breakthrough in the additional 30 minutes, the tie would be decided by penalties – with Simone Magill slotting home the decisive spot-kick to seal a 4-3 shoot-out win.

The draw for the Semi-Finals will be made live on Twitter at 11:30am on Monday from Wembley Stadium – follow @FA to discover who will meet in the last four.

By Gary Stonehouse Staff Writer