Session 2: defending the goal
- Triangle of goals six yards apart.
- Two circles ten yards from the goals and ten yards from the inner circle.
- Two attackers, two defenders and one goalkeeper guarding three goals.
- Points are scored if the attackers score.
- Points increased if attackers score and another attacker receives after scoring.
- Establish social distancing conditions to ensure no misunderstanding.
- Practice starts with attackers passing the ball outside the circle - passes can go through.
- Attackers combine to get a shot away (below head height).
- Defenders and goalkeeper work together to stop shots.
- If defenders or goalkeeper win the ball, change with the shooting player.
- Goalkeeper and defenders combine to deny shots.
- Angle of approach by the first defender.
- Position of the second defender to block the goal or loosely mark the other attacker.
- Goalkeeper movement around the goals and communication to defenders.
- Goalkeeper handling/shot stopping.
- Players rotate positions.
- Size of areas can be adjusted to suit age group.
- Attackers are locked or fixed into areas on the outside.
- Attackers are limited by time or touches before shots or they forfeit their score.
If you’re back out on the grass and want to find more safe sessions, head to our playlist by clicking here.
The FA’s Diversity & Inclusion team are aware of additional concerns and anxiety that members of the BAME community may have regarding returning to football. We fully support these concerns and care about the welfare of coaches and volunteers when carrying out football related activities. We also recognise that early research and insight in relation to the impact of COVID-19 on the BAME community is complex and still not fully understood.
If you have any health concerns regarding returning to coaching for yourself, your players or parents/carers etc you can contact The FA at D&Isupport@theFA.com for advice. We must follow the latest government advice and ensure that we do not feel pressured to return to coaching. You can find some additional support below: