Session 2: block, screen and intercept
- Mark out a 25x40 yard area.
- Four attackers v one defender.
- 12 footballs.
- Attackers must keep the ball below head height.
- Establish social distancing conditions to ensure no misunderstanding.
- Attackers try to pass to each other from end-zone to end-zone.
- All passes below head height.
- Defender tries to intercept. If they do, they can shoot at either end.
- Play starts from one end.
- Attackers score points for every completed pass. Defender wipes the score if they intercept and score.
- Read the play and player body language: who is playing forward?
- Move laterally to block.
- Block passing lanes, intercept and score if possible.
- Communication between defenders.
- Players rotate roles.
- Attackers have a shot clock to make passes. Groups change if time runs out.
- Size of area can be adjusted.
- Amount of touches can be restricted.
- Goalkeeper can use their hands for distribution.
If you’re back out on the grass and want to find more safe sessions, head to our playlist by clicking here.
The FA’s Diversity & Inclusion team are aware of additional concerns and anxiety that members of the BAME community may have regarding returning to football. We fully support these concerns and care about the welfare of coaches and volunteers when carrying out football related activities. We also recognise that early research and insight in relation to the impact of COVID-19 on the BAME community is complex and still not fully understood.
If you have any health concerns regarding returning to coaching for yourself, your players or parents/carers etc you can contact The FA at D&Isupport@theFA.com for advice. We must follow the latest government advice and ensure that we do not feel pressured to return to coaching. You can find some additional support below: