England boss Roy Hodgson says he has no worries about Jack Wilshere ahead of double-header
Roy Hodgson says he has no concerns about Jack Wilshere ahead of next week’s crucial World Cup qualifiers at Wembley.
The Arsenal and England midfielder is in Hodgson’s squad for the double-header against Montenegro and Poland, but has been out of the Arsenal starting line-up of late.
But the Three Lions boss is looking forward to meeting up with the 21-year-old at St. George’s Park on Monday as preparations begin for the first match with Montenegro on Friday.
He said: "I'm hoping that he'll turn up on Monday fully fit to play, and then it'll be up to me to decide whether I want to put him in the first team and the starting line-up.
“Just as I guess Arsene, every week, has to decide 'do I put him in the starting line-up or do I play someone else in front of him?'
"He's in an Arsenal team at the moment with competition for places in midfield that's very strong, anyway.
"But he's an important cog in our midfield thinking."
Despite making his England debut back in August 2010, Wilshere has only picked up ten senior caps since then, with injury problems restricting his appearances.
But Hodgson is comfortable with Wilshere’s current state and paid tribute to the way he’s been managed and recovered by Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.
"I don't really have a concern," added Hodgson.
“My concern over Jack has always been whether he is actually physically fit to play or whether he's suffering from an injury.
"I've been led to believe that he doesn't suffer from that injury.
"He missed a lot of football, didn't he? It was a year and a half then he had to have another top-up to the operation this summer.
“For a young man, he's had an awful lot of serious injury problems but the way that Arsene has managed him since will help us."
Buy your tickets for England's game with Montenegro on Friday 11 October or the clash with Poland on Tuesday 15 October by clicking here.