England meet Ireland tonight at Wembley for the first in 22 years
England meet Republic of Ireland at Wembley later tonight for the first time in 22 years. It is the first time the two countries have played in 18 years. Below are a few more stats from the game ahead, courtesy of Opta...
* Penalty shootouts aside, England have lost just once in 15 games under Roy Hodgson.
* Ireland have failed to score in five of their last seven international away games.
* Giovanni Trapattoni’s side have lost just one of their previous nine friendlies.
* Wayne Rooney has now scored 35 international goals – the 5th highest in England’s history.
* Under Trapattoni, Ireland have lost just two of 22 away games, recording nine wins along the way.
* England have scored in each of their 17 international friendlies at Wembley since it was rebuilt.
* The last three meetings between England and Ireland have all ended 1-1.
* England’s last win against Ireland was in 1985 – a 2-1 win in a friendly at Wembley.
* The Three Lions have won seven of their last nine matches against the home nations – and lost the other two.
* England have lost just three of their 17 home games since the New Wembley opened in 2007.
* Wayne Rooney has scored in five successive England appearances and in six of his last seven.