There are currently over 26,000 active referees officiating in England. In line with The FA's Vision, we aim to recruit 8,000 more referees by 2012, bringing that figure in excess of the 30,000 mark.
Without a referee, there is no game and The FA is doing all we can to assist referees in their development, in order to retain their services in the long-term.
We have produced a number of helpful documents aimed specifically at referees and their assistants, ranging from a Fitness Guide for Referees to a Study Pack for the Basic Referees Course. The following eight documents have all been produced with the referee in mind.
- FA Competition Rules and Instructions - Season 2011-12
- A Guide to Misconduct Report Writing
- A Guide to Reporting Cautions and Sendings-Off
- A Guide to Assistant Referees
- Advice on the Application of the Laws of the Game
- Advice for Newly Qualified Referees
- Basic Referees Course Information Pack
- Basic Referees Training Course - Pre-Course Study Pack
- Fitness for Refereeing
- Regulations for the Registration and Control of Referees
If you'd like to become a referee, register your interest by clicking here and a local County FA Referee Development Officer will contact you.