The FA Carlsberg Vase
First Round Proper
Saturday 19 October 2013
Winning clubs receive £900 from The FA's prize fund
Click here for fixtures
By Wally Downes
East Grinstead reached the Second Round of The FA Vase at the expense of Sevenoaks Town with a 2-0 win, thanks to goals from in-tune team-mates Sam Schaaf and Michael Belli.
Sevenoaks started the match well, despite being the away side, but they could not turn their possession and positive play into much needed goals, with Grinstead goalkeeper Calum Christie keeping them at bay with a string of fine saves.
Instead, Grinstead grabbed the lead with a goal after just six minutes when Belli fed Schaaf for him to poke home his 12th of the season.
The visitors continued to dominate right up to the break and after the interval, but they could not find a way past in-form Christie and in the end, Grinstead's dogged resilience paid off.
With 70 minutes on the clock, Belli and Schaaf combined once again with a superb one-two, before Belli rifled home from 12 yards out to make it 2-0.
Meanwhile, Grinstead's local rivals Lingfield bowed out of the competition with a 4-3 defeat at Southern Counties East League leaders Erith Town, despite a spirited fightback in the second half having been 3-1 down at the break.
It was a miserable day for two Sunderland clubs with the Premier League side tasting defeat as well as Sunderland RCA going down 2-1 to Bridlington Town in The Vase.
A Frank Belt penalty in the 27th minute and a second-half strike by Craig Hogg, sent the Seasiders through to Monday’s draw.
But former Vase Finalists West Auckland had a day to remember in the competition with a thumping 5-0 win over visiting South Shields.
Winsford United had star man Nathan Beckett to thank for their 2-1 extra-time win over Garforth Town, with the goalkeeper making a string of superb saves to keep his side in the tie until they grabbed victory at the death for a place in the Second Round.
Loughborough University got full marks for their performance in a 2-1 win over Stewarts and Lloyds Corby with goals coming from Sam Cook and Jack Poxon.
The FA Carlsberg Vase
- Tuesday 10 December 2013
- Brighouse VS Whickham
- Colney Hth VS Brightlingsea Regent
- Saturday 18 January 2014
- Newcastle BBP VS Congleton
- Spennymoor VS Causeway
- Ashington VS Wisbech T
- AFC Rushden & Diamonds VS St Andrews
- Morpeth VS Westfields
- Dunston UTS VS Coleshill
- Brighouse / Whickham VS West Auck
- Larkhall VS Blackfield
- Ampthill VS Norwich U
- Hallen VS Alresford
- Sholing VS Hullbridge
- Moneyfields / Bitton AFC VS Hadleigh U
- Hanworth V VS Eastbourne United
- Hanwell T VS Ashford United_
- Brightlingsea Regent / Colney Hth VS Bodmin Town
- E Preston VS Brantham
- Saturday 7 December 2013
- Spennymoor 2-0 Bridlington
- West Auck 2-1 Bill'ham Syn
- Brighouse - Whickham
- Staveley MW 0-2 Morpeth
- Jarr RBCA 1-2 Newcastle BBP
- Ashington 1-0 Thackley
- Congleton 2-1 Huntingdon T
- Blaby & Whetstone Athletic 1-2 Causeway
- AFC Rushden & Diamonds 2-0 Gra St Prim
- Holwell S 1-3 Coleshill
- Walsall W 0-1 Wisbech T
- Alvechurch 0-1 Westfields
- St Andrews 4-1 Bolehall Swifts
- Gt Wakering 0-1 Hullbridge
- E Preston 2-1 Rye United
- Hanwell T 5-0 Lordswood
- Ampthill 2-1 Beckenham
- Brightlingsea Regent 2-2 Colney Hth
- Ashford United_ 1-0 Tring Ath
- South Park 1-2 Eastbourne United